Saturday, September 22, 2007

Let the Love and Passion Stay Forever

Whether posted as a reminder to the workers in Lian's orphanage or for the foreigners who visit it, the exhortation was sobering. It certainly set the tone for my experience.

We spent Monday morning touring the place where Lian spent her first year of life. Have you ever been to an orphanage? It is a place that, no matter how nice it is, evokes emotion.
A moment of joy came when Lian got to thank one of the ladies who cared for her. A moment of conviction came when seeing where Lian slept.

A moment of sorrow came when meeting some of the children labeled "unadoptable".A moment of sadness over the rejection of their birth parents.Brought back to moments of joy with who Lian is and how her life has changed so drastically in the past three years.Jen and Dano left the orphanage thankful for how God has put together their family.
We celebrated with ANOTHER authentic Chinese feast. The vice mayor of Gaoyou and other city officials took us to the nicest restaurant in town (I guess - I don't know how to tell the difference). We must have tried at least 30 dishes even more exotic than the night before.
I even tried Gaoyou's specialty: double-yolked duck egg. Mmmmm! It was quite salty and made us foreigners gag. I ended up hiding the rest of mine below the noodles in my soup.
Lian concluded our meal with a toast to her "I.E.'s", those who cared for her at the orphanage.
Jen and I continue to marvel at the fact we've been friends for 17 years and all the changes we've seen in each other's lives. Such a gift!

". . . rejected by men, but choice and precious in the sight of God. . ." I Peter 2:4

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I finally am checking your BLOG. So sorry for the delay, but you can thank my raging pregnancy hormones for that. It sounds wonderful there. We are praying for you. Miss you & love you.

Anonymous said...

Suzanne- This is simply beautiful and amazing. Thanks for letting us get a view with friends eyes on this journey.

Best, Jen Goodson

David Trigueros said...

Amazing, amazing. Glad all is well. Have a great time.

The Yachats Kid said...

Suzanne,
My eyes are leaking... wow!!! What grace, mercy and love. Wow...
love,
dad

Anonymous said...

Suzanne - all I can say is Wow with tears running down my cheeks.
Love you,
Mom