Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Off to the Farm (Tear-Jerker Warning)

So to speak, anyway. Today I sent my dog, Jake, to the farm. I wish that were actually the case.
In reality, I put my little buddy of more than 8 years to sleep. The form I filled out at the vet called it euthanasia. Whatever. Regardless of the terminology or euphemism used, the outcome is still the same. My dog is no longer and I am sad. It takes me by surprise how much emotion a dog can evoke. The loss I feel is deeper than I felt with my grandma's passing 10 years ago. Is that weird?
I spent the day reflecting on the many Jake stories I have stored in my brain. He had some of the strangest idiosyncrasies - sneezing when a particularly smelly car passed by on our morning runs, attempting to catch flies, choosing the vacuum as his nemesis, eating one piece of dog food at a time, "burying" his bone on top of the ground with leaves and dirt. All of these things made him unique. I suppose the same is true for humans. We look down on our own (or others) quirks, when really these are what make us who we are. Anyway, enough philosophy.
Goodbye, dear friend. I miss you. You set a precedent that will always be compared to and you will never be replaced.

4 comments:

Beckie said...

What a wonderful way to express your feelings, Suzanne! I loved the pictures and your thoughts. We had to put down one of our cats - 3 or 4 years ago now - and I STILL remember her and that event. It was SO HARD! Jake will never be replaced in your heart - he had a good life with you.

Love you,

Beckie

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you dear friend. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Suzanne: Hadn't checked in for a while, and now there are many more postings to read! I lost Tucker my dog in January. Now I have 2 puppies! I suggest you get another once you're done traveling for awhile. They can't replace the dog who is gone, but they do help. Love, Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Im glad to see that you have chosen to reflect upon Jakes life by putting him up for all of us to remember. As your neighbor, and the girlfriend of Jakey for 3+ years, (yes it's true, we kissed and held each other often) I can share with you memories of some of those quirks that he had and indeed made him the most special of friends. My favorite was when he would lie on his back, and stiffen up all four legs and point them to the sky. It was such an unnatural position, but he apparantly was very comfortable as it could put him to sleep......Jake was a special buddy to many people, but mostly your buddy, and he kept you company for many years; you saved him from a different fate, and in return he thanked you for his wonderful life by being an equally wonderful companion. He offered you unconditional affection that one would expect or at least hope for from our human companions. Im sorry as you are that the situation came to what it did. Your decision, while not everyone could have been so brave, was humane and decent and showed Jake the respect that he deserved. I hope you have peace with it in your heart, and at another point in your life, another buddy will come to bring you a different kind of joy. I have given Jake much thought these last few weeks. I also miss him very much.
Jode'